What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide or CO is an odourless, tasteless and colourless gas that is highly toxic. Carbon monoxide is deadly to humans and animals if exposed to high concentration in fact, it is estimated that between 30 and 50 deaths each year are caused from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Poisoning occurs when the carbon monoxide in the air combines with haemoglobin in blood to produce carboxyhemoglobin; this inhibits the delivery of oxygen to vital organs and cells resulting in serious health issues, permanent brain damage and even death. This is why it is important to know the facts and take all the necessary precautions to protect yourself and your family against the potential dangers of Carbon monoxide poisoning.
Always use a Gas Safe registered installer
It is very important to make sure that all central heating systems, gas appliances, boilers, ovens, hobs, fires and appliances are properly fitted, checked and maintained by an experienced Gas Safe engineer. They will also ensure that chimneys and flues are free of blockages, safe and working correctly. It is also recommended that you have a high quality, audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted and that you check it regularly, this will help to ensure that you and your family are kept safe.